Monday, December 31, 2007

This Week's Bestsellers from the New York Times

Here are this week's top-selling picture books, courtesy of the New York Times.

Check out the New York Times for this week's best-selling chapter books and series books.

1. Star Wars: A Pop-Up Guide to the Galaxyby Matthew Reinhart

Something tells me kids aren't the ones driving this book to the top of the list. If you have a Star Wars fan in your life (or you are one), this is a great collectible. It will set you back about $20 bucks.





2. The Night Before Christmasby Clement C. Moore.

The New York Times doesn't list a specific publisher or illustrator as various copies were all over bookstores over the holiday season. I picked up Ted Rand's version for my daughter because I didn't have a copy of this classic poem for her library.





3. High School Musical: All Accessby N. B. Grace

I have to admit I know nothing about High School Musical, but this book is really neat and would be a great gift for a fan. It looks like a scrapbook made by someone who goes to the school with ticket stubs, pictures, notes in lockers, etc. It would be especially good for a reluctant pre-teen reader.




4. The Three Snow Bearswritten and illustrated by Jan Brett

This is a spin on Goldilocks and The Three Bears. Al-ooki, an Inuit girl in the Artic visits the home of a polar bear family. If you haven't seen this book that was just published in September, I highly recommend it. As always, Jan Brett's illustrations are gorgeous, and I always love a retell of an old classic, especially one that features different cultures.




5. On the Night You Were Bornwritten and illustrated by Nancy Tillman

The rhythmic language, beautiful illustrations, and touching content make this a must-have for any new or expectant parent. I also have a copy of Debra Frasier's On the Day You Were Born which complements On the Night You Were Born well.




6. How to Find Flower Fairieswritten and illustrated by Cicely Mary Barker

From the author of Fairyopolisthis pop-up book features many different hiding places of fairies. I think any young child who likes the magic of fairies would love this enchanting book, but make sure you give it to a child who is old enough to take care of the book. My daughter would tear it to shreds right now.





7. Gallop!: A Scanimation Picture Bookwritten and illustrated by Rufus Butler Seder

I've never seen a book for kids like this before, and it is just amazing. By flipping through you book you can see a horse galloping, an eagle soaring, and many other animals in movement. The content rhymes and has funny replies that will leave your child laughing.






8. The Chronicles of Narnia Pop-up: Based on the Books by C. S. Lewis (Narnia)by C. S. Lewis. Pop-ups by Robert Sabuda

I'm a huge Narnia fan, so this book is right up my ally. The book features a stunning pop-up spread of each of the seven books in the series.






9. Angela and the Baby Jesus (Children's Edition) by Frank McCourt

I've been a Frank McCourt fan since he told his raw and heart wrenching account of his childhood in Angela's Ashes, but I'm always skeptical when an author of adult books branches out in the world of children's literature. Luckily, I was not disappointed with Angela and the Baby Jesus. It's a wonderful, heartwarming story of six-year old Angela in Ireland.





10. The Alphabet from A to Y With Bonus Letter Z! by Steve Martin

So, I'm not the biggest fan of children's books by celebrities, and how many alphabet books are out there? This one is cute and has some really funny phrases. It will also elicit many questions and conversations from your kids. But it's not one of my favorites...perhaps it's because this phrase kept bothering me: "That's a lousy lie, you lowlife!" I'm not a very conservative person, but this just didn't seem appropriate for young children.

And that's it...I suspect some books will fall off the list next week since Christmas is over. I wonder if The Night Before Christmas will make it. What are your predictions?

2 comments: