Monday, December 31, 2007

A Mother's Promise, Overview




Author: Lisa Humphrey
Illustrator: David Danioth
Hardcover: 32 pages
Publisher: Illumination Arts Publishing Company (April 1, 2004)
ISBN-10: 0970190794
ISBN-13: 978-0970190796

“When you are born…I promise to help you remember all you have forgotten. I promise the ocean…you will hear the beating of its heart against the shores.” In this lyrical language, A Mother’s Promise reminds us of our connection to the earth and of its diverse beauty as a mother makes a series of promises to her unborn child. It also reminds us of our responsibility to the earth…to nurture, love, and take great care of it so that we and future generations can enjoy it. David Danioth’s illustrations are soft and gentle and full of warmth and beauty. The images of the mother holding her newborn infant are especially stunning.

When I was pregnant with my daughter, I remember reading this aloud to the baby in my belly and feeling a sense of peace and hope. It seemed to settle my fears and worries about bringing a child into the world, and it made me look forward to the day when I could show my daughter the ocean, the desert, the mountains, and other beautiful places in the world. I remember being touched by the simple yet powerful words and breathtaking illustrations. Now as I read it again nearly 10 months after the birth of my daughter, I am filled with new excitement as I imagine the look on her face when she walks in the sand for the first time, tastes the salty water of the ocean, smells pine needles, and feels a snowflake on her cheek. It helps me put my life in perspective and appreciate the beauty of the world.



Order A Mother's Promise from Amazon!

No comments:

Post a Comment