Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Survey Results

First off, a big thanks to everyone who took the time to answer the survey questions I created a few weeks ago. It really helped me get an idea of the types of books you're most interested in hearing about.

Here are the results, along with my completely "untrained-in-survey-analysis" commentary: (Note that the totals don't add up to 100% because people were allowed to choose more than one answer. That's about as well as a I can explain it, since I must have been napping during Statistics class in college. Did I even take statistics in college?)

For which age group would you like to see more book recommendations?
  • Babies and Toddlers (37.5%)
  • Preschool and Elementary Children (75%)
  • Middle Graders (62.5%)
  • Young Adults (25%)
  • Other: Remedial and Reluctant Readers (25%)
This is great news since most of the books I have and want to talk about are picture books for preschool- and elementary-age children. I don't review a lot of middle grade works because I honestly have a difficult time finding good stuff for this age group. Any suggestions?


For which genre would you like to see more book recommendations?
  • Fiction (50%)
  • Nonfiction (62.5%)
  • Educational (25%)
  • Parenting (37.5%)
I love good nonfiction, sometimes even more than fiction, and I've read in tons of places that boys who are reluctant to read really get into nonfiction. I'm always on the lookout for good nonfiction, so you can definitely expect to see more nonfiction selections. I also have tons of fiction and a few educational and parenting books that I want to talk about, so I think you all will see recommendations for books you'll like.

What types of posts would you like to see more of?

  • Book reviews (87.5%)
  • Supplemental resources for classrooms (50%)
  • Reading tips (25%)
  • Literacy news (12.5%)
  • Author and illustrator interviews (0%)
Book reviews are the types of posts I write most often, so you can expect to see more of those on the site. I'm also on the lookout for more supplemental resources but have been neglecting this for a bit. I'll always include supplemental resources when I find good stuff out there.

To help us get a better understanding of our audience, are you:
  • Teacher (25%)
  • Parent (62.5%)
  • Librarian (25%)
  • Blogger (62.5%)
  • Author (0%)
  • Publisher(0%)
  • Other: Literacy Advocate, Homeschooling Parent(25%)
Cool...it's nice to see such a variety of readers.

Other comments/recommendations:
  • I like your site. Maybe review more classics--it's not all about the newly published works. I like to hear what people have to say about the ones that our parents and parents parents read when they were kids too.
  • I understand the desire to evolve ... but I love the Well-Read Child as is, too!
Thanks for your comments. I have some classics waiting on my bookshelf, so you can definitely expect to see more of those.

No comments:

Post a Comment