Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Counting Kisses by Karen Katz

Counting Kisses: A Kiss & Read Book by Karen Katz

Reading level:
Baby-Preschool
Board book: 32 pages
Publisher: Little Simon; Board Book Edition (January 1, 2003)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 068985658X
ISBN-13: 978-0689856587


For this week's baby-preschool selection, I'm featuring a board book that has become a favorite in our house. Counting Kisses: A Kiss & Read Book by Karen Katz introduces a tired little baby receiving all kinds of kisses from Mommy, Daddy, and even Grandma. From "10 little kisses on teeny tiny toes" to one final kiss on the baby's "sleepy, dreamy head," parents can bond with their little ones by giving the same kisses to their child as the baby in the book receives. It's also a great way to introduce or practice counting, number words, and words for body parts to preschoolers. My one-year old giggles and giggles when I kiss her as I read the book.

Karen Katz's colorful, cherubic illustrations will also grab children's attention.

This book is a great way to have fun with reading and to share affection with a special child in your life. It would also make a great gift for new parents or new grandparents.

2 comments:

  1. My parents just bought my 5 m.o. daughter and me "Mommy Hugs", also by Karen Katz. It's a great book! She loves the pictures and it's a great opportunity for us to get more snuggle time in. What could be better than that?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anon--Thanks for the recommendation! I'm always on the lookout for more snuggle time opportunities. I love Karen Katz's books, but we don't own a copy of Mommy Hugs. I'll have to add it to my wish list.

    ReplyDelete