Monday, June 11, 2012

Summer Reading Challenge: Quest to 300

My little chica will be starting Kindergarten in September. We attended the Kindergarten Open House at her school a couple of weeks ago where they passed out a list of reading recommendations for the summer. I'm still a little in shock how quickly the little baby in my arms grew into a sassy and spirited five year who walked into the school like she owned the place.  When I told her she had to read five books by the end of summer, she scoffed and said we would read 300.

I'm always up for a challenge, so this past Friday, we started our quest to read 300 books together by September 3. We're talking about picture books and easy readers here because she's five, and we haven't been very successful with chapter books thus far.

I'm using this blog to keep track of the challenge. If you'd like to join in, please feel free to leave a comment. I'll attempt to post daily.

Happy reading!

 

11 comments:

  1. Love it. I'm a mom, a reading teacher and a lover of reading myself. I hereby join you, along with my husband and two sons (ages 14 and 9). Let's have a little fun together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent! I also should have mentioned that my 2-year-old will be joining in. Looking forward to hearing about your reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely want to join you! I've been reading some long sequels lately and have loved them, but really have wanted to have a small-child's book challenge for myself.

    In college, I read 100 small-children's books for my children's literature class. Loved that class! (Except my teacher hated Dr. Seuss :( )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha - Dr. Seuss is not my favorite when I have to read him over and over and over again. I'm looking forward to reading your blog and learning what you read over the summer!

      Delete
  4. Jill, your baby is 5 already?! Count me and my three little ones in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe how quickly they grow up! Hope you and your little ones are doing well!

      Delete
  5. My oldest is heading to Kindergarten in the fall as well...and we are pretty book-obsessed so the challenge doesn't seem crazy. Happy to join in! I blog (mostly) daily on books we read, too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kate! Looking forward to reading your blog!

      Delete
  6. Wow! Thanks everyone. Sounds like it will be a great summer full of reading! Can't wait to hear what you're all reading.

    ReplyDelete