Friday, November 2, 2007

On the Day You Were Born by Debra Frasier

I was holding my tiny, swaddled three-day old daughter when I noticed this book sitting on the night stand by her crib. It was a shower gift I hadn't yet put away, so I picked it up and started reading it to her. The book describes how the sun, moon, animals, and spirits of the earth prepared themselves for the birth of the baby and welcomed her/him into the world. It's simple, straightforward and really puts life into perspective

The final line, "As they held you close, they whispered in your open, curving ear, 'We are so glad you've come!'", brought me to tears as I whispered it into my own baby girl's open, curving ear. I've read this book multiple times to my daughter since then, and every time I read it, that last line brings tears to my eyes. It helps me remember that no matter how stressful my day has been, I have this beautiful little girl in my life.

Reading tip:
Point to all of the animals on the pages, name them, and count them. Now that my daughter is older, she loves to follow my fingers and touch the animals on the pages even though she doesn't understand what I'm saying yet. We have the "board book" version of this book which is sturdier for smaller babies.


3 comments:

  1. Nice post Jill! I've heard about this book but have never read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jill, thank you for so lovingly reading On the Day You Were Born. This story came from a real place--the difficult pregnancy with my one and only daughter...I was so filled with joy that she arrived safe and sound that this book emerged. So you see, the mother in me taps the mother in you, and joy abounds.
    Truly, Debra Frasier, Author & Illustrator

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ms. Frasier,
    I apologize for not commenting earlier. I thought I had responded the day you sent your comment, but perhaps my computer crashed. I just realized my faux pas today. I just wanted to say thank you for sharing your story of writing your book on my blog. And thank you for writing such a lovely book. It is truly amazing.

    ReplyDelete