Thursday, July 30, 2009

What My Children Are Reading Meme, July 31 edition

I took a couple of weeks off from blogging, but that doesn't mean that I stopped reading with my daughter. Over the past couple of weeks, these books have been the most requested at bedtime.

Twinkle Toes by Karen Katz

Karen Katz has been a long-time favorite of my daughter's, and this is no exception. This is a touch and feel board book featuring little ballerinas dressed in different costumes from a bunny rabbit to a cowgirl. My daughter loves to feel the different textures on each spread and especially loves to comment on one of the dancer's pink cowgirl boots.





Llama Llama Red Pajama by Anna Dewdney

This was a favorite a few months ago that my daughter recently started wanting to read again. This is one of the rare rhyming picture books that really works. If you're not familiar with it, it's about a little llama who's going to bed and gets upset because his mama doesn't come to him fast enough when he calls. It's very cute.






Splat the Cat by Rob Scotton

I picked up this book when it was first published because I absolutely loved the unique illustrations and the furry black cat named Splat. In this story, Splat is nervous about going to his first day of cat school, but with the help of his pet mouse Seymour, he manages not only to have a wonderful day but to also change his teacher's and classmates' opinions about mice. My daughter loves to look for Seymour in the pages, and I definitely need to get the other two Splat books.



What are your kids reading? Leave your link in Mister Linky below or tell me in the comments!




4 comments:

  1. My 7-year old is pouring over a couple Scrambled States of America books. At first it was just laughing at the funny stories and one-liners, but now she's digging into the geography. "Here's where we went on vacation. That's where uncle Craigs lives." Learning on summer vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter was in love with Splat the Cat last week! We had to turn him in at the library yesterday, unfortunately.

    But this week, we are thoroughly enjoying Earl the Squirrel by Don Freeman, Hondo and Fabian by Peter McCarty, and Wombat Walkabout by Carol Diggory Shields.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look like great picture books. I bet my little one would like Splat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gotta look up Llama books. I keep seeing them in various places and I just think they look like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete