Wednesday, May 27, 2009

What My Daughter's Reading May 2009 Edition

I haven't done an installment of "What My Daughter's Reading" for quite a while, so I thought I'd let you know what we're enjoying reading together.


First and foremost, Good Night, Gorilla by Peggy Rathman has been a favorite for quite a while, and not a night goes by where my daughter doesn't ask me to read it. Now she knows it so well, that she reads it herself. She knows all of the animals by name and insists that the hyena is a dog, and she gets a kick out of reading "Good Night" in the thought bubbles. At two, she feels very proud of herself that she's able to "read," and she "read" the book cover-to-cover to her grandmother this evening.


Then we have Caillou. We don't watch a lot of TV, but when we do, Caillou is always a favorite. My daughter about flipped out when we received a box of Caillou books from Raab Associates. I'm generally not a fan of books that feature TV characters, but I can't deny the draw these books have on my little one, and hey, if these are the books that can get a kid interested in reading, then the more power to them. Our box included an impressive set of books designed just for little kids. She particularly likes, Caillou: My First Vacation, a lift-the-flap book that tells the story about Caillou's vacation. Caillou: Where Is Teddy? tells the story of when Caillou loses his Teddy after a visit to his Grandma's house, and then there's a five-book boxed set featuring stories about Caillou's everyday adventures. In one book, he makes a snowman with his friend. In another, he gets a little naughty and puts makeup on his sister's doll's face. These are well-worth checking out if you have a Caillou fan in your house.


Finally, a new favorite is Davide Cali's I Love Chocolate (Tundra Books, 2009). In the book, a very happy little boy tells why he loves chocolate and all of its different forms. He loves chocolate bars because they crunch between his teeth. He loves chocolate that's full of surprises in the middle, and he loves chocolate because it makes everything better. Evelyn Daviddi's illustrations are funny and chocolaty and always make me crave chocolate truffles. I guess I don't have to tell you why my daughter and I love this book. Who doesn't love chocolate? I actually have a friend who doesn't, but I think she's really an alien.


Those are just a few of the books that we are reading in our house. What are you reading with your kids?


9 comments:

  1. I think my kids would love I love Chocolate. I'm adding it to our list. This is a great post. I used to do one that featured what my kids were reading but I haven't done one in a while. Thanks for inspiring me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Vasilly! I like doing these posts because they help me remember fun times reading with my daughter. And if your kids like chocolate, they'll probably love I Love Chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a really interesting and thought provoking post. This is the first 'What My Daughter's Reading' I've seen. It should be a meme. My son is 9 and he is reading a debut Australian author called Andrew MacDonald - the book is called The World's Greatest Blogger. Hopefully the book will be available overseas soon. My son is inspired to start writing a blog. Gotta love a book that works like that!

    :) Sandy www.samuraikids.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by and sharing what you're reading with your son! That's so awesome that the book has inspired your son to start his own blog.

    (You probably haven't seen one of these posts because I haven't done one in a REALLY long time. I was reading through old posts today and realized that it was definitely time for a new one.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is it OK if I do a What My Son is Reading post at my blog and link it to yours? I think this is a great way to introduce new book titles to parents :) Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh absolutely, Sandy! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this idea for a post!

    Also, I love chocolate, as any good non-alien would. I have a friend who likes chocolate, but not chocolate & peanut butter together. I think that's alien material as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Kelly. Maybe I'm an alien, too then because I hate chocolate and peanut butter together. Reese's Cups...ICK! I love chocolate, and I like peanut butter, but together it's just yucky!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I completely forgot to add Goodnight Gorilla to the list of books my son is reading.

    ReplyDelete