Sunday, May 3, 2009

What Can You Do With a Paleta? by Carmen Tafolla, illustrated by Magaly Morales


What Can You Do With a Paleta? by Carmen Tafolla, illustrated by Magaly Morales

Growing up in a very small town, I never heard the familiar tinkle of an ice cream truck pulling into my neighborhood until I was an adult and lived in a bigger city. Now, I can see the joy that sound brings to neighborhood children as they eagerly run up to the truck to take a look at its offerings.

Latin American cultures have their own version of an ice cream truck - the paleta wagon, serving its sweet frozen fruit treats. It seems like the hardest decision is to choose which flavor you want - maybe strawberry, coconut, or mango this time - but Carmen Tafolla's vividly detailed book suggests that once you pick a flavor, you have to decide what to do with it. Do you make a sticky art masterpiece or paint a blue mustache or purple tongue? While those are definitely fun options, the author lets us know that the best thing to do with a paleta is gobble it down.

Tafolla's sensory language and Morales' richly detailed and warm illustrations took me directly to a Mexican barrio on a hot day. I could smell the crisp tacos, hear the music, and even taste a sticky coconut paleta as it dripped down my chin.

This is a book that celebrates a vibrant culture and brings to life the excitement of the paleta wagon rolling through the neighborhood. This is a great book to use in a classroom as well as at home to introduce kids to a culture which they may not know much about. Mexican-American families will treasure this beautiful representation of their culture, and there's even a dual-language version, What Can You Do With a Paleta? / ¿QuĂ© puedes hacer con una paleta?, that bilingual families and kids learning English or Spanish can savor.


More Info:
  • Reading level: Ages 4-8
  • Hardcover: 32 pages
  • Publisher: Tricycle Press (April 2009)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 1582462216
  • ISBN-13: 978-1582462219
  • Source: Review copy from publisher




5 comments:

  1. My girls love the ice cream truck so I'm sure they will love hearing about the paleta wagon too. I going to have to look for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I *love* this cover, as well as Carmen Tafolla! Thanks for sharing, it took me back to my childhood in Mexico

    Layla

    ReplyDelete
  3. Then, pandora bracelets if he's really smart, he'll bolt pandora jewellery out the door and let you work it cheap pandora canada out on your own.At some pandora bracelets sale point, after you've sipped pandora charms some tea and wiped up cat pandora bangles hairball, you'll come back around pandora necklaces because you WILL find the perfect necklace pandora beads and a fabulous dress. And you pandora earrings will remember eventually that you've managed to find pandora sets a great mate too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, listen, I tried to read your post, but there's a huge banner in front of my screen and I can't take it off! I already closed the window and opened it again and it won't work.
    23jj

    ReplyDelete
  5. a simple book recommendable for almost any child! this girl actually did an awesome work, rhere's no doubt about it!

    ReplyDelete