Monday, February 9, 2009

10 Things I Can Do to Help My World: Fun and Easy Eco Tips by Melanie Walsh

10 Things I Can Do to Help My World: Fun and Easy Eco-Tips by Melanie Walsh

Reviewed by Callista at SMS Book Reviews.

This is a picture book for ages 3 and up that is designed to teach your child some "fun and easy eco-tips."

"I use... both sides of the paper. If everybody did this, it would greatly reduce the number of trees we use to make paper."

The book is a little bit unusual in that the pages aren't all the same size and square. First of all in the 0 of the 10 on the front cover is an upside down light bulb cut right out of the cover. Also the page that shows exhaust from a car, you turn the exhaust to see the rest of the picture. One page shows garbage and recyclables and compost and bins on the opposite page with their openings cut out. So when you turn the page, the proper items are in each container (compost, cans, glass, paper, plastic.)

The book is really neat and has great ideas. I'm only not sure about one of them. It says to remind your parents to unplug the tv when we are not watching it. First of all if the child decides to unplug it themselves they could hurt themselves. Second of all, who really does that?? I don't know about you but I'd waste more personal energy pulling the entertainment stand out each time to plug and unplug the tv than I would electical energy by leaving it plugged in.


To top it all off, the book is made from 100% recycled material.
I plan to use this book to help teach my children about helping the environment and recommend that you do too.

Visit Charlotte's Library for more Nonfiction Monday selections.


More info:
  • Reading level: Ages 4-8
  • Hardcover: 40 pages
  • Publisher: Candlewick (August 26, 2008)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0763641448
  • ISBN-13: 978-0763641443
  • Source: Review copy from publisher

No comments:

Post a Comment