Last night as I was lying in bed lamenting that we had gone yet another night with no reading, I decided to challenge my family to read a little every day even if it's just for a few minutes. Here's how it's going to work for us:
- After dinner, either my husband or I will read to our daughter. She's fifteen months old, so one picture book has been pretty much all we can get through. If we get through two or three books, it's a major feat.
- After bath time, we'll also let her browse through her books on her own and will read to her if she asks us to. She's done more and more of this lately, which is pretty cool.
- Because it's nearly impossible to read with a toddler around, after my daughter goes to bed, my husband and I will spend time reading on our own.
What about you? Would you like to spend more time reading and challenge yourself and your family to read a bit every day? If so, I'd love it if you joined me! The only rule is that you try to fit in time every day. You know what will work best for your family, so you decide the logistics. Maybe you want to spend some time every day reading aloud to your children. Or if you have older kids, perhaps you want set aside a specific time of day where everyone in the family is reading on their own--no computers, no TV, just good old books. Maybe you don't even have kids but want to challenge yourself to read everyday. That's fine, too!
On Saturday mornings, I will post a summary of how our week went, and if you have a blog, invite you to do the same and link to your post. If you don't have a blog, I'd still love to know how your week went and invite you to post a summary in the comments section.
To help get you started and keep you motivated, I'll be holding a giveaway each week, and in honor of the challenge kickoff, I'll start by giving away four books, three of which I've featured on The Well-Read Child this week:
- Sergio Makes A Splash by Edel Rodriguez (my review)
- A Thousand Never Evers by Shana Burg (my review)
- The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson (my review)
- For adults, I'm also giving away my personal copy of Ami McKay's The Birth House
To enter, you must sign up for the challenge by leaving your comments in this post. For an extra entry, help spread the word about the challenge on your blog if you have one, and leave your link in this post. If you don't have a blog, you can earn an extra entry by emailing five of your friends who may be interested in joining the challenge and cc'ing me in the email. (thewellreadchild AT gmail DOT com)
You have until Midnight EST, Friday, July 11, 2008. I'll do a random drawing on Saturday, July 12, 2008 and announce the winners and the next giveaway in my weekly challenge summary.
At this time, the contest is only open to US residents, but anyone in any country can sign up for the challenge. Good luck, and happy reading!