Sunday, March 2, 2008

Meet Wes

You may have noticed that I haven't been writing the Poetry Friday posts for the past few weeks. While I love reading everyone's Poetry Friday contributions and truly like poetry, I'm honestly not that well-versed in it and was struggling to find things to say about the poems I featured other than, "I like this poem a lot," and "William Butler Yeats makes me sigh."

One Friday in early February, I couldn't come up with a poem to feature, and I asked my friend Wes what his favorite poem was. He started naming all kinds of wonderful poems, and I was so impressed with his knowledge of poetry that I somehow roped him into writing the post for me. If you remember, he wrote a very insightful piece about W.H. Auden's "September 1, 1939." Since then, Wes has been offering up some wonderful poems and observations that have really added a fresh perspective to The Well-Read Child.

Wes loves the classics, and his favorite poets are Yeats, Keats, Milton, T.S. Eliot, and Wallace Stevens. His favorite poem is Milton's epic Paradise Lost. He even writes his own poetry, which I'm hoping one day he'll share with us.

So, please join me in officially welcoming Wes as a regular contributor to The Well-Read Child. I look forward to seeing what he has in store next.


1 comment: