Tuesday, January 8, 2008

The Well-Read Husband?

A few nights ago, I was cooking dinner when I heard my husband’s voice coming from the living room: “In the light of the moon, a tiny egg lay on a leaf. See the egg on the leaf, Bella? And look…the moon is smiling.” I peeked around the corner and found my husband sitting in the floor with our daughter on his lap, reading The Very Hungry Caterpillar aloud and pointing out the pictures. My husband who is not a big reader (GASP!) hadn’t, up until then, been very involved with reading to her (DOUBLE GASP!). I have to admit that I’ve been monopolizing that gig, but apparently, he has been listening to me read to her all these months (TRIPLE QUADRUPLE GASP!) and decided to try it for himself. It was then I realized that reading was going to be something we will ALL enjoy together as a family and that it’s never too late to establish good habits.

I have to say I got a little lump in my throat as I saw our daughter looking at the book, then looking up at him, and following his finger as he pointed to the pictures. Then she reached up and honked his nose and started cackling…it doesn’t get better than this.

7 comments:

  1. I love those moments too! My husband reads to our son in Romanian, and I just love to watch them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diane,
    Wow...that's wonderful that your husband reads to your son in Romanian! Does he translate from English into Romanian or do you have Romanian-language books?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great story, Jill! Sounds like they're both keepers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How sweet... I love reading your blog Jilly. Love you always, MOM

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Jen...I think I'll keep them around a little while longer. :)


    Mom...love you too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Last night, Amelia and Meg were reading Knuffle Bunny before bed (she's at that point where it's up to her who reads to her before sack time; mom got the nod this time) and Meg calls me after a few minutes because Amelia is reading herself! Okay, not actually reading, but moving her finger along the words and speaking a kind of improvised language out of which we can pick several words from the story. When either of us tried to read, she's say, "No mommy. Amelia read." That, for me, was a really cool moment!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jay...how awesome! I LOVE hearing stories like this.

    ReplyDelete