Tuesday, January 22, 2008

100 Books Every Child Should Read

An interesting article by Michael Morpurgo in today's UK Telegraph claims, "if children are to be readers for life, they must first love stories." He goes on to argue that the focus on reading as an "educational commodity" is biting them in the behind and can even be "counter-productive and alienating". If reading feels like "work," who wants to do it? Instead, teachers, parents, caregivers, etc. need to be passionate about reading to their children. They must FEEL it, LOVE it, and pass it onto their children.

So very very true. I know it's harder for me to want to do something if no one around me is interested or into it.

Following his article is a list of the 100 books every child should read in their early years, middle years, and early teens. Some I've read and are definite favorites....some I'm unfamiliar with, and there may be some different ones we'd add to the list in the United States.

Well worth checking out.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds cool - I'll be checking this list! We're surrounded by books over here, and I'm always looking for an excuse to add more. If I have a list to fulfill, by golly, I gotta go book shopping! I don't think my son will mind either, because he loves his books!

    ReplyDelete